In 1651 the castle was severely damaged by Oliver Cromwell's guns and never rebuilt.
It is now in the care of Historic Scotland.
The Mid Tower housed the lord's most senior officials.
The East Tower originally of five storeys had single room on each floor with a latrine closet.
This may have been guest accommodation.
A pedestrian walkway now replaces the drawbridge. Below is the Ditch which increased
protection for the main curtain wall.
The Douglas Tower,once a seven storey 30 metre high structure,contained the private quarters
of the lord and lady of the castle.
Information board illustration - showing how the castle may have looked when first built.
Tantallon was the last "curtain wall" design castle to be built in Scotland.
Great hall extension.
|Image Source - Wikipedia|
Musicians and entertainers would either be retained at the lord of the castle or travel
from place to place around Europe.
Instruments played are likely to have been,fiddles,bagpipes,flutes,
flageolets and drums.
Below the great hall lay the kitchens and other utility rooms.
The Well in the Inner Close,sunk to a depth of over 30 metres,was the castle's main water supply.
Information board showing layout plan.
To be continued .....