A section of the old boundary wall built when King JamesV of Scotland created Holyrood Park in 1540.
Today it is a managed wild park in the centre of Edinburgh.
Click to enlarge
Edinburgh skyline from Queen's Drive with Salisbury Crags on the right
and Edinburgh Castle on left.
The perimeter wall runs behind the trees.
15th century St Anthony's Chapel above St Margaret's Loch.
Whinny Hill with East Lothian fields in the distance.
Dunsapie Loch and Dunsapie Crag,where traces of an early fort have been found,possibly Iron Age.
Beyond is the East Lothian coastline with Bass Rock barely visible on the horizon just to the left of
Berwick Law (small pointed hill).
Heather on Whinny Hill.
Bell heather and whin bushes : Arthur's Seat,the highest point, from Whinny Hill.
A closer view of the turrets.
James V (1512-1542) and his french queen Mary of Guise, parents of Mary Queen of Scots.